Friday, August 8, 2008

The NIN concert - set list and stuff

This one's for you, Kristi. ;) Anyone who reads my LJ has already seen this, but I've had a few curious fans who didn't get to catch this leg of the tour asking me if it was a good show. I'd wanted to wait until I had photos (somehow) that would do justice to the extraordinary stage setup and completely mindblowing lighting effects, but so far, no luck. You are, therefore, just getting a copy of what I posted in my other blog. (At least it has a set list! And amusing pictures and video 'n' stuff!)


Trent Reznor gets me HAWT

Broken bones or not, I felt no pain in the presence of my rock god. Special thanks to Dimitri and HW for being entertaining concert-going buddies!

Where to begin??

Admittedly, I was a little worried at the start of the show. For some inexplicable reason, Trent opted to start with three songs off "The Slip", their newest album, with which very little of the audience is yet familiar. Myself included. I only knew the words to one of them (Discipline - you can download the MP3 for free at that link). But beyond that, my criticisms are few. The show ROCKED.

There were a handful of tracks that were taken from the GHOSTS I-V album(s), so I couldn't tell you which ones they were (it's all instrumental, and none of the 37 tracks have lyrics or titles - they're all just numbers), but aside from those, I'll see what I can do to recreate the set list (though I can't guarantee it'll be in order!).

SET LIST:
  • 1,000,000
  • Echoplex
  • Discipline
  • March Of The Pigs
  • Letting You
  • Gave Up
  • The Good Soldier
  • The Frail
  • Closer
  • Terrible Lie
  • Vessel (ungh!!!)
  • Only
  • Piggy
  • 9 Ghosts I
  • 14 Ghosts II (?)
  • ? from Ghosts
  • The Greater Good
  • Pinion
  • The Big Comedown
  • The Warning
  • Wish
  • God Given
  • The Hand That Feeds
  • Survivalism
  • Hurt
  • In This Twilight



Did I miss anything, guys?

I truly hope that HW's cell phone pictures turn out enough to even BEGIN to illustrate the JAW-DROPPING set they had for this show. No two songs took place in the same formation. There were things being done with the lights and the instruments that I could never have imagined - it was absolutely ASTONISHING. I've never seen anything so sophisticated and just downright bloody COOL.

And oh, Trent, you looked so good. You have hair again, and you're in amazing shape but you're not all buffed up anymore. Delicious.

I'm sure the secondhand pot billowing up from the guys in front of us didn't hurt the amazement I experienced at just about everything, but really, I'd have been throughly impressed no matter what. They incorporated the strangest things into the music: a giant (and I do mean GIANT) xylophone, an electric cello, countless weird percussive and piano-like things, an enormous touch-sensitive curtain that seemed to be somehow connected to the electronic bassline... Seriously, it was just...beyond.

The last NIN show I saw, back in the summer of '06, was still superior. But this was one hell of a show. There were parts that were positively electric. Palpable. Dripping with sex.

I'd break the rest of the bones in my feet to have stayed another hour. Maybe next time. In the meantime...





P.S. Yes, the August MUXTAPE is coming soon. I KNOW I'M LATE AGAIN.



Bookmark and Share

No comments: